Content

Monday 9 December 2013

Weekend Getaway To The Beach!



K and I have needed to get away for quite some time as the last few weeks have been pretty rough on us. It was so good to be able to completely relax and chill out at my parents beach house, and not have to worry about rushing to be somewhere, or do something that required extra thinking! Our brains had earned a well deserved break, and we had an amazing quiet weekend just being together.


My parents beach house is situated in Blairgowrie, in the Mornington Peninsula which is about an hours drive from Melbourne CBD. We've had this house for over 10 years in our family, and I've seen it transform from being pretty horrid inside to something that is very homey. It still has a long way to go, but it has good character and a lot of potential! A diamond in the rough if you may.
We got to the house at about 10pm on Friday night, we would have got there earlier, however we made a stop at Chadstone where I purchased my first full frame camera - the Canon 6D! I cannot tell you how much I am loving this camera, the added Wi-fi feature is a real help with uploading to instagram, so I'll be carrying it with me a lot!!

We got up late on Saturday morning - we needed a good sleep in after Burdie, (aka BurdieWood) our baby cat, kept us awake by exploring her new surrounds! Naughty kitty! We headed off to Sorrento, (which is a beach side town about a 5 minutes drive away) just before lunch and chose a cute cafe by the name of 'Buckley's Chance' to dine at. They had these adorable menus, which were made out of 'Little Golden Books', a series of story books that were around when I was very young. I remember I had a huge collection of those books, but now the originals are hard to come by. 





After flicking through the menu, K decided on the slow cooked beef foccacia, and I went for the full Buckley's Breakfast! Both were pretty good, and even though Sorrento is well know to be a little pricey - it wasn't that expensive at all. Around $14-$16 each for what we ate. 





After our bellies were full, we walked the many arty stores that lined the town, and were amazed at some of the art that people had designed. This one particular shop was heavily into wood art - and there was a huge elephant, a pig, and a bull with huge horns made entirely of pieces of wood that were found on the beach. It was just inspiring, but I'm not entirely sure where you would put a massive wooden bull though at your house! I did however, as it was pretty hot, bought some cute handmade burgundy shorts with white lace trim to wear around the house for $12. Not bad!





We made our way down to the beach, stopping at the botanical gardens and taking a few snaps, before heading to the pier and watched the sailboats with their fishermen, the speedboats and even caught a seat plane taking off! It was such a nice day - I really should have listened to my dear husband when he said 'put sunscreen on', which now I'm regretting not doing because my feet and neck are quite burnt! Silly me :( But I'll live (I think). At least my feet and legs got a really good exfoliation walking along the beach though!



I actually enjoyed this weekend a lot, it felt great to just take our time and do what we wanted - and take as many photos as we could with the new camera of course! I am very much looking forward to the Christmas holidays which are just over two weeks away so we can spend more time together, and enjoy the festivities the city has to offer - and not forgetting the Boxing Day sales! Hopefully the next few working weeks go really really fast!




What are you doing for the Christmas holidays?


post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Behind The Web

Hello! My names is Jessica, 27yo based in Australia. Here you'll find a collection of my thoughts, interests, photographs & daily life. Interested in all things beautiful in the world. Enjoy!

Got nothing to do today but smile

Got nothing to do today but smile

Previous Daily Life

Instagram

Social Media